Vining Sparks delivers products and services designed specifically for financial institution portfolios. As a national leader in executing fixed income securities transactions, Vining Sparks is uniquely qualified to provide portfolio managers with opportunities to better meet their stated objectives. Our approach to successful investing combines strategic support services with broad trading capabilities. An overview of our services for financial institutions is presented below:
- Vining Sparks is one of the world’s top 20 underwriters of newly issued debt by agencies of the U.S. Government. As such, we can structure deals specifically for you or let you know as new deals come to market.
- As a regional dealer, we have “one call access” to a wide array of primary dealer and regional inventories (including those you don’t regularly deal with). Our active trading desk is staffed by twenty-five trading professionals and even though we have our own inventory totalling hundreds of millions of dollars, we are not limited to just our own inventory.
- Loan Trading helps investors manage their loan portfolios (Commercial, Residential, and Consumer loans) through strategic loan sales or acquisitions. This large segment of the balance sheet can now be a source of liquidity, and loan sales can also help institutions manage interest rate and credit risk in their loan portfolios. Loan acquisitions can offset low loan demand and augment growth strategies.
- Vining Sparks Interest Rate Products, LLC ("VISRP") is Vining Sparks' affiliated provider of interest rate hedging products. Working with VSIRP, institutions can manage interest rate risk and create a competitive advantage using our wide array of hedging products. VSIRP also provides turnkey accounting and infrastructure solutions which simplify the operational and accounting requirements involved with interest rate hedging.
- Our Performance Profile contains an executive summary of your institution’s portfolio performance, asset/liability risk position, national/local peer group comparison, portfolio characteristics and cashflow ladder including color charts and graphs with recommendations. A PDF or PowerPoint file can be provided to assist in presenting to your Investment Committee.
- Through our in-house proprietary portfolio management system, VPORT, we can provide monthly pricing for virtually all fixed income securities. This system utilizes a variety of electronic pricing services and then selects the best source for each market sector and sector type. This approach is more accurate than using a single pricing source or a pricing matrix.
In addition, VPORT can notify you if we have a matching position in our inventory to a security in your portfolio. When “matchers” are noted, you have the opportunity to “add on” to your current position or sell an odd lot at a round lot bid. This is especially helpful to portfolio managers who wish to limit the number of positions in the portfolio.
Our VPORT system also provides:
- immediate notification of called securities by daily electronic monitoring;
- predicted call dates updated regularly based on the current treasury curve and newly issued security levels; and
- five-year, month-by-month projection of cash flows based on predicted calls and projected prepayment speeds on amortizing securities. This system is also used to produce the Performance Profile mentioned above.
- Vining Sparks is one of the world's largest poolers of Small Business Administration Guaranteed Loan Pool Certificates (SBA GLPCs). These securities carry the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government and offer investors a floating rate security with no periodic or life caps. As a pooler, Vining Sparks is regularly purchasing the government-guaranteed portion of SBA and USDA loans.
- ZM Financial is a commercially available software system designed to assist total return portfolio managers with index optimization. We are a licensed user of ZM Financial and run the program for our financial institution customers who need it.
Portfolio Management/Administrative Services
Bond Accounting System
State-of-the-art bond accounting reports run on the Paragon system (owned by the ABS Group). User friendly reports and flexibility to accommodate user requests supported by a full time staff of CPAs and programmers makes this package a great asset to many financial institutions.
Vining Sparks offers the safekeeping of your bonds through Bank of New York and/or Bankers Trust Co., New York. This service includes issuance of safekeeping receipts, timely principal and interest payments, and fees that are competitive within the industry.
Peer Group Comparisons
A comparison of any financial institution to a national or state peer group. Can also compare your institution to multiple (up to 6) specific local competitors on the same report.
The Market Today
A daily summary of market news, economic releases, interest rate levels and other major news headlines.
The Market Outlook
Weekly fixed income market and economic commentary including economic release calendar for the coming week and current offering levels on the investments most frequently purchased by financial institutions.
Strategic Insight Research Reports
Provide executive summaries of new products or transaction ideas.
Sample Investment & Asset/Liability Policies
Includes consideration of all new or proposed regulations and incorporates security purchase/sale documentation checklists.
Annual Bank Summit
Two-day seminar on critical issues facing today's depository institutions. Held annually in Memphis, Tennessee.
If you have any questions, please contact your account representative or Randy Wade, Executive Vice President, at (800) 829-0321.